In Search Of A Quality 8-Paragraph Comparative Essay Example
When you are asked to write a comparison between two or more topics in a structure less manner, it can get pretty difficult. So in order to make it sound simple they are called 8-Paragraph comparative essays. These are very different from the five paragraph format that you may have been used too. Its aim is to make you a better writer with a sense of freedom and creative genius.
If writing an 8 paragraph essay gets confusing you can always turn to the internet for help. There are many educational websites that can help you in writing these types of essays. These websites are filled with various examples and one of these examples is sure to match your requirements. You can go through any of the examples to get a good idea on the way to write a comparative piece.
Here are some tips to help you construct your own 8 paragraph comparative essay:
- Pay attention to the question. Reread the question twice to clearly understand what it wants. If you are choosing a topic yourself then be specific on what you are going to compare. For instance if the question asks you to compare the physical features of two literary character, do not start writing about their characters.
- Mention some similarities as well as difference. Highlight the contrasts between the two topics but also give some the similarities that the two items may share. It is not absolutely necessary and you may skip this if you want.
- Study some of the examples to get an idea about the basic layouts possible. There are quite a few ways in which you can present your 8 paragraph essay. Select the one you are most comfortable with.
There are two ways in which you can present your essay. The first structure has more detail on individual items before you start writing the contrast. In this type after the first paragraph of introduction three paragraphs are written on the different items of discussion. It is only on the fifth paragraph that the comparison is drawn.
The comparison continues for next two paragraphs before the conclusion makes the last paragraph. The other style is written by starting off with comparison right after the introduction. It is fairly simple way of writing the essay where you present different comparison points in each paragraph and then end it with a conclusion.
Compare and Contrast Essay Writing
A compare and contrast essay is a type of essay which is used to explore both the similarities and the differences between two subjects by comparing and contrasting them against each other.
A comparison seeks to present the similarities of two objects whereas a contrast aims at exposing the differences between two objects. Compare and contrast essays are popular in academic writing. The comparison and contrast may be a fraction of an essay or may constitute the entire essay. An essay may include only a comparison, contrast or both. A contrast and compare essay’s goal may be to assist the readers to make a decision on a particular topic of argument. Another aim of this type of essay may be to develop critical and analytical thinking capacities in the minds of the audience.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST ESSAY RUBRIC
Compare and Contrast Essay Outline
A compare and contrast essay outline consists of an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. The introduction and conclusion are often standard paragraphs written at the beginning and end of an essay respectively. An introduction is an overview of the rest of the essay and should contain a strong thesis statement that comprehensively states the essay’s purpose.
There are two primary manners to outline or structure the body of a compare and contrast essay:
- The first way is using a block structure also called a subject to subject or a whole to the whole structure. In this fashion, an essay writer compares and contrasts all the information of a single subject or item first. The comparison and contrast of the second subject are listed after that and follows the same order as the first. A transition paragraph or sentence often divides the two paragraphs above.
- The second system is a point by point structure. In a point by point system, each point is discussed in a single paragraph. Both subjects are discussed under the same point in each paragraph. It is advised to start and end with the same subject for each point to maintain consistency. The type of structure used depends on the essay writer and the advantages of each structure. A point by point structure is clearer and more explicit whereas the block structure is easier to write.
60 SUCCESSFUL COMPARE AND CONTRAST ESSAY TOPICS
How to Start Compare and Contrast Essay
Once a teacher gives students the two subject to be compared and contrasted, the students first go out and seek information about both topics. The first step is to identify the differences and similarities in the information. Then a way to sort out and organize the above information is sought and utilized. The best and most common way of starting such an essay is to draw a Venn diagram. A Venn diagram is a very helpful organizational tool. It consists of two circles that overlap creating a single overlapping area and two non-overlapping areas.
The diagram is then used to filter the information. The similar properties of the two subjects are written in the overlapping area while contrasting features are written in their respective non-overlapping areas. One can also use a table to classify the information presented in a clear and manageable way. Tables are relatively straightforward and easy to use.
How to Conclude Compare and Contrast Essay
The conclusion of a compare and contrast essay should be able to summarize the major points presented in the body of the essay. It should, however, go beyond a simple analysis. The conclusion should be an evaluation of the points given above. It should present the overall aim of the essay’s discussion. Often, a paraphrased version of the thesis statement contained in the introduction is provided in the conclusion.
The concluding paragraph, in essence, should show the significance of why the essay writer compared and contrasted the two subjects that were in question. Moreover, the conclusion should contain a vivid presentation of the opinion of the essay writer on the topic of discussion.
Compare and Contrast Essay Writing Tips
A good topic should interest readers and hold their attention. It should also aid the writer to demonstrate his writing skills through the essay. The subjects to be discussed should also be easily comparable to make distinctions as clear as possible. Information on the two subjects should be wide reaching and easily acquirable to ensure the writer has plenty of material for the essay. Choosing the essay structure that suits the writer is an important part of writing a good compare and contrast essay. A proper outline gives the essay clarity and helps the organization of the work. The structure of the essay’s body determines the shape of the entire work.
The essay structure could highlight the writer weaknesses or strengths and should be decided with the utmost of care. Use of appropriate transitioning signals is crucial. These are words, phrases, and expressions that show the reader the relationship between subjects. Such words should be undoubtedly clear whether they indicate contrast or showcase similarities. Transition signals should also be placed at the correct point in a sentence or paragraph. Feel free to use this sample essay as a model for your own compare and contrast essay.
Why Is It Better to Hire a Writing Service?
Ordering an essay from an essay writing service for a myriad of reasons:
- A writing service has professional writers.
- Our professional writers are skilled and may have specialized experience in writing a particular type of essays for example compare and contrast essays.
- Essaymasters writing service has a wider source of information from which to conduct research.
If you need help with compare and contrast essay writing place an order and our professionals will help!